This Taco is made for Walkin’
THE WALKING TACO
Well its that time of the YEAR…FOOTBALL!
No, not that vuvuzela, Euro/So.Africa kind of Football…American Football! So in honor to this American-ized sports craze, I give you an All-America fast food dish!
The Walking Taco can be made about as many ways there is to layer a taco plus the added favoring of any BRAND chip there is on the market. There is NO wrong way to make this dish! But…tastes seem to differentiate from region to region. Look at BBQ as an example.
A basic Walking Taco typically consists of a small single-serving bag of Fritos corn chips, with a cup of prepared Taco meat poured over the top. After the meat goes in the bag, it is finished with cheese, lettuce, tomato, salsa, sour cream, or any taco-friendly topping the eater wishes.
Listed below, are popular variations I’ve seen prepared through out the Mid-west at various music festivals and sporting events. (Minneapolis/ Milwaukee/ Chicago) This dish works great for tailgating, as you can prepare the meat in advance (keep warm) and serve up w/ little or no cleanup.
Lets first start with the basic ingredients you’ll find in almost every Walking Taco and the preparation needed to WALK this out of the park!
- 1lbs ground beef or turkey
- shredded lettuce
- shredded cheese
- 1 taco seasoning packet (I like Lawry’s)
- 2/3 Cups of water
- plastic forks
- 6 bags of “snack size” chips
- sour cream
- chopped onions
- diced tomato
PREPARATION / DIRECTIONS
1. Brown ground meat in large skillet on medium-high heat. Drain fat, if desired. eg (Follow the directions on the meat packaging. <If you already tossed that in the garbage, the seasoning packet has it on the back)
2. Stir in Taco Seasonings and water. Bring to boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Crush chip bad but DO NOT pulverize the chips
5. Spoon meat mixture into Frito Chip Bag. Serve with your choice of assorted toppings.
Each “Walking Taco” could be compared to “2 regular shell taco servings”
Super Hint: You want to keep the ratio of Fritos (or chips) greater than the amount of Taco meat, to keep the dish CRUNCHY.
Conclusion: Using the basic steps and ingredients you can create your own very own version of the Walking Taco.
1. Frito walking Taco
2. Frito Pie (Chili based Meat/Seasoning/ Chip Mix)
3. Dorito Walking Taco Combinations
4. Tostito Walking Taco w/ Chip Dips
Popularity: 12% [?]